Chapter 4 – JnanaYoga
cātur-varṇyaṁ mayā sṛṣṭaṁ
Text Source – “http://prabhupadabooks.com/bg”
The four varnas(divisions of the human society) are created by Me, divided by the quality of work. Although I created that, know that I am the non-doer and unchanging.
In the previous verses, God tells that however people approach Him, he will accept them and grant their wishes. People pray to demi gods(who are again parts of the Supreme) for quick results. But why is everyone not asking for the highest, which is Him?
Lord has created 4 divisions according to the quality of karma –
- Brahmana – more of Satvik qualities
- Kshatriya – Satvik and Rajasic
- Vaishya – Rajasic and Tamasic
- Shudra – Tamasic
Same work, four types of people do in different way. Take for instance, the act of praying to Lord. A Brahmana might pray for higher knowledge, while a Vaishya may pray for material wealth. God grants them both what they want, but it is upto people what they ask.
Things to be noted here –
- The four divisions of our society(caste system) is not based on birth, but indeed based on the quality of work(or more like intention behind the work).
- People think and act according to their own nature. God doesn’t try to change their thinking.
Divya: God doesn’t interfere in what people are doing. It is upto us to increase our satwa, or fall back to tamas. And God is not bound by all these things.